Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Magnetic Board

In dire need of a family 'command center' (because I LOATHE looking at stuff all over my fridge) I decided to make a large magnetic board. I got a 24"X 56" piece of scrap from my father and purchased some magnetic paint, and got to work. I followed the instructions and used thin layers...and a LOT of them. Now, I hear that some people have a good experience with magnetic paint and love the stuff. I was not one of those people. After three layers it barely held a strong magnet and after five it would hold the strong magnet but not the average ones. I was a tad frustrated and started trying to come up with a different idea. But, I'm pretty stubborn and I really wanted a magnetic board, not cork or clips.

 I started looking for a large piece of tin. Either a panel from an old cabinet or from an antique ceiling. We've already established that I'm somewhat cheap, so I will tell you that I was frustrated by the prices of the large pieces. I told a few friends I was on the lookout for the tin and Ashleigh immediately told me she had just seen a large piece at one of my favorite shops. I jumped on it and went the very next day to check it out.


Yeah, I bought it. It was huge and perfect, and not too expensive. There was a lot of chipped paint on it and it had some great coloring. I especially loved the green on it.


I had my husband power wash it because I'm pretty sure the paint chipping off was lead paint. It was also a curved piece so I very carefully flattened it out without messing up the pretty design that was pressed into it.


I also wanted a few other colors popping through, so I painted spots all over it...yeah it looks weird now, but just wait!


Then I busted out the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old  White and painted the whole thing. I didn't do a perfect job because it wasn't needed. Then after that was dry, I sanded it down making sure that all those pops of color could be seen subtly. 


Next I had to get to work on the frame. It had to have a frame because those edges are sharp! I had several ideas, but I love reusing old wood. Call it recycling or upcycling...whatever it is, I adore it! So naturally I raided my father's supplies. I thought I found what I wanted in some old but unused fence pickets. However, they ended up almost crumbling to pieces when put through the planer. So off I went to the hardware store to buy some boards. While at the store I was on the phone with my father and he mentioned that he found some other boards and he thought they were more the look of what I wanted in the first place. So, I went to his shop and got to work! He was right, they were perfect.


Cutting the boards is always a favorite part of mine. I get a rush from power tools. I'm sure that makes me weird, but I don't care.


Slight miscalculations happen sometimes...


Back side of the frame


Finally hung in place. I hopped up and down a little bit. It's the little things that make me happy!


This is a great addition to my house and a wonderful place to hang kids drawings, schedules, and favorite pictures like the one featured above. It's a favorite of me and my husband when we were just engaged. 

One more project down...thousands to go ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment