Monday, November 26, 2012

The Story of a Chair

My husband would say I have some sort of a love affair with chairs, though he would probably phrase it as "a sick love affair with chairs". I prefer to be less derogatory of my seating.
Our house is on the small side. I totally thought I would be fine with this because kids have the most stuff when they're babies and then it gets better right???? Yes, I was the idiot that actually thought that. Regardless of the fact that I am an organizer and purger by birth, I married into a family that has quite a few pack rats...and it's apparently genetic! Who knew? But even though the house is wee, I didn't see the big deal with trying to put nice seating spaces into all the rooms, including the children's.
My friend Merideth scored this chair for me while I was on the road to Oklahoma in August.


Oh so hideous! The only thing I actually liked about this chair was the fact that it was faux bamboo and the size was perfect for my purposes.

It was to be for my son's room and even before I had the chair I knew what  I was going to do with it. I was going to paint it red and I had a gorgeous antique grain sack for the upholstery.
Then I finished Dylan's Cabinet and decided that might be too much red for his tiny room. So I went with blue instead.


This is the same ASCP that I used on Dylan's Chest: Napoleonic Blue 



I was completely and totally in love with this grain sack from the second I saw it. I didn't know what it would eventually be used for but I bought it immediately!


I had to make the piping myself and try my hardest to sew the new cushion cover and make it look good. I'm still relatively new to sewing so I had to enlist my mother for a little bit of this. But, I am very proud to say I did most of it myself!


Putting it all together


I had to use auto primer on the chair. The yellow was insane to cover!


Until this chair was in his room this is how my son would read or play his games. This is also how his room looks the majority of the time as well...STUFF everywhere! He's also extremely stubborn about being photographed so I have to sneak the pictures in quickly or I don't get them!


Here it is all finished.


I dig the blue faux bamboo...it makes me happy :)


I love that all of his bedroom colors are in this grain sack!


I also love that he sat down in his chair and said that I was "the best most awesome mama ever!"
He's pretty fantastic too!



1 comment: